CANDIDATE FILING INFORMATION AUGUST 2, 2016 PRIMARY ELECTION
When and Where to File: Filing opens on February 23, 2016 at 8:00 a.m. and closes on March 29, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. Candidate filing is held in the James C. Kirkpatrick State Information Center located at 600 West Main Street in Jefferson City, Missouri. (Section 115.349, RSMo.)
Ballot Placement: Candidates who file on the first day by 5:00 p.m. will select a number by random drawing. The random number drawn determines the candidate’s primary ballot placement. After the first day, candidates are placed on the ballot in the order of their filing. (Section 115.395, RSMo.)
Documents Needed for Filing: (Sections 115.357, 115.306, RSMo.)
- Paid receipt from political party for filing fee:
- $200 - Statewide office, U.S. Senator
- $100 - U.S. Representative, Circuit Judge, and State Senator
- $50 - State Representative
Political party representatives will be available in the State Information Center on the first day of candidate filing to accept filing fees.
- Proof of Identity – Voter Identification card, Missouri driver’s license, birth certificate, or other form of certified identification.
- A copy of an affidavit (does not apply to candidates running for U.S. President, U.S. Senate or U.S. Congress) filed with the Department of Revenue. A copy of the form may be found at http://dor.mo.gov/forms/5120.pdf and information about this requirement is available at http://dor.mo.gov/personal/candidates. (Section 115.306, RSMo.)
Exceptions to Who Must File in Person: All candidates for state offices must file in person with the Secretary of State. However, members of the armed services on active duty or persons who are unable to appear in person because of physical disabilities may file by certified mail. Persons eligible to file by certified mail should contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division for further details at (573) 751- 2301.
District Maps: Maps of Missouri’s congressional, senatorial, and legislative districts are located on the Secretary of State’s web page. Detailed congressional, senatorial, and legislative district maps may be purchased from the University of Missouri Geographical Resources Center at (573) 882-1404, or here
Offices that file with the Secretary of State in 2016:
- U.S. Senate
- 8 U.S. Representatives
- Lt. Governor
- Secretary of State
- Attorney General
- 17 State Senators – odd numbered districts
- 163 State Representatives
- Various Judges*
*Some Supreme, Appellate, Circuit Court and Associate Circuit Court judges are either on the ballot or could be on the ballot depending on appointment dates.
Offices that file with the local election authority in 2016:
- County Commissioners
- Collector-Treasurer (Township Organization Counties)
- County Treasurer (1st and 2nd Class Counties)
- Public Administrator
- Surveyor (2nd, 3rd and 4th Class Counties)
- Township or Ward Committeeman
- Township or Ward Committeewoman
In addition, any other offices that are vacated due to death, resignation or any cause, and which, under law, are required to be filed for the 2016 general election.
Campaign Finance Reporting or Personal Financial Disclosure: The Missouri Ethics Commission has representatives present at the Secretary of State’s office on the first day of filing to answer questions about campaign finance reporting or personal financial disclosure. For the remainder of the candidate filing period, the Missouri Ethics Commission can be reached at (800) 392-8660 or (573) 751-2020 orhttp://www.mec.mo.gov.
For additional information about elections or candidate filing: Contact the Elections Division of the Missouri Secretary of State at (573) 751-2301.