Records Management:: Frequently Asked Questions

Records Management FAQs

These FAQs reflects the most up-to-date information on the Records Management program of the Office of the Secretary of State. Administrative personnel involved with the maintenance, storage, retrieval, and tracking of records will find these FAQs a convenient reference when using records management services.

We hope you will find answers to the most common questions concerning the records management program including general information, records consultation and scheduling, state records center services, and imaging services provided by the Records Management Division to state agencies.


General Information

Records Consultation and Retention Schedules

State Records Center Services

Imaging Services



Q.  What does Missouri’s Records Management Division do?
The Records Management Division formulates policy for the retention and disposition of state agency records in Missouri. We assist state agencies in the preparation of records retention schedules, microfilming of long term records, and the storage of records at the State Records Center.

Q.  What is a record?
  In Missouri, state records and non-records are defined by 109.210 RSMo.

(5) "Record", document, book, paper, photograph, map, sound recording or other material, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made or received pursuant to law or in connection with the transaction of official business. Library and museum material made or acquired and preserved solely for reference or exhibition purposes, extra copies of documents preserved only for convenience of reference, and stocks of publications and of processed documents are not included within the definition of records as used in sections 109.200 to 109.310, and are hereinafter designated as "nonrecord" materials;

Further information can be found on the “What is a Record?” page of this website.

Q.  Where do I get copies of … (birth and death records, corporate records, incarceration records, motor vehicle records, etc.)?

A.  For birth and death certificates call the Bureau of Vital Records at (573) 751-6387.

Death certificates older than 50 years are available at the Missouri State Archives. Questions concerning the death certificates can be sent by email to [email protected], or by phone at (573) 751-3280.

For business and corporation related inquiries, contact the Business Services Division of the Office of the Secretary of State at (573) 751-4153.

For incarceration, probation, or parole records contact the Department of Corrections Constituent Services at (573) 751-2389.

For motor vehicle records, contact the Department of Revenue Bureau of Motor Vehicles at (573) 526-3669.

For driver license records, contact the Department of Revenue Driver License Bureau at (573) 526-2407.

Q.  What is the difference between the Records Management Division and the Archives?
  The Records Management Division manages records for state agencies while the records are needed for reference by agency staff for agency operations. The Missouri State Archives manages historical records after those records are no longer needed for agency operations. The Records Management program only serves state agencies, while the Missouri State Archives also serves the general public.

Q.  What is the State Records Commission and who serves on it?
  The State Records Commission is comprised of individuals from various branches of state government. The Commission is responsible for approving records retention and disposition policies for state agencies.

Q.  Who may use Records Management’s services?
  Records Management provides services to state agencies. Delivery and pickup services are only available to offices within Jefferson City. Municipalities and county offices should contact the Local Records Program for assistance at (573) 751-9047.

Q.  What records management services are available?
  The Records Management Program provides state agencies with a full range of consultation services, training for the agency records tracking system, inactive records storage, microfilming storage and services to state agencies, and records management presentations upon state agency request.

[ back to top ]